Monday, November 22, 2010

Red Scarf Girl

"Ji-li's deeply moving story should be on the shelf of every person's library. Her courage in the face of adversity and her steadfast loyalty to her family are truly inspirational for young and old alike." --Nien Cheng (Author of A Life and Death in Shanghai)

It is very rare that I love a book so much and just have nothing to say. I think it's probably because I don't want to chance ruining the good job the author did. ;) I quickly read through Red Scarf Girl: A Memoir of the Cultural Revolution this past week. I was subbing in a 7th grade English room and this was the book they were reading.

Ji-Li's story is about how her and her 'black' family lived during the time of the Cultural Revolution in China. I found it very intriguing and the 7th graders and I had great conversations. They were engaged and seemed to be really into it. I honestly, did not hear any whining/complaining about it, which for junior high kids is quite the feat!

The book's main focus is on Ji-Li's junior high period. Ages 12-14. It talks of how she goes from a star well-respected student to being made fun of and forced into 'study sessions' to try to tell secrets about her 'rightest' father.

I would recommend this book for adults and teens alike. It gives a first-hand account of a time period in China that most people in the US do not study / know much about.

What do you remember from junior high?

3 comments:

Amber said...

That does sound interesting!

I was NOT a fan of junior high - it was a very awkward and unpleasant time for me :S

Kennedy said...

I read this and was floored by the Cultural Revolution. I've read another couple books on it and have been appalled.

Marie Cloutier said...

it reminds me of a book called OUT OF LINE about a young girl growing up in the former Soviet Union. It sounds really terrific!