Monday, August 9, 2010

The Surgeon - Tess Gerritsen

I first learned of this series because of the new TNT series Rizzoli & Isles. (What can I say, I am a sucker for cop drama!) Then I started reading reviews about the newest book out in the series by Gerritsen, and decided that I must start it immediately. So I headed to the library and realized I was not the only one with this thought. So I put myself on the wait list and patiently waited one week to get this book. I flew right through it.
The Surgeon introduces us to Jane Rizzoli, Homicide Detective with a chip on her shoulder. Every one else is male and in the club, she not so much. She fights hard for everything she gets and struggles to make a name for herself in the good ole boys club.


The city of Boston, particularly, the women, are being hunted by a serial killer who seems an awfully like the evil Andrew Capra, who was shot to death in Savannah two years ago by Dr. Catherine Cordell after he tried to make her one of his victims. Ironically, Dr. Cordell has relocated to Boston and the deaths started soon after she arrived. The Surgeon is targeting women who vulnerable, who have suffered a rape and who are victims. He can only control and kill them if they are completely under his control and all the fight out of them. At first, the police thing perhaps The Surgeon is raping these women and then coming back for them, but with a few twists and turns they realize this is not the case.


The brutal part of the Surgeon is his method of torture. He binds up his victims with duct tape and then using a scalpel and other medical instruments cuts out their uterus. (The thing that makes them evil.) Then he cuts their carotid artery which finishes them off. UGHHHHHH. That is one of the things that grosses me out and freaks me out the most. Scary stuff.


Cordell is a great assist to the police and she and a male detective get a little hot and heavy. As the case develops it definitely looks like the killer is aiming in at the ultimate kill which is Catherine herself. Can Rizzoli find the killer and save her own reputation before it's too late? Better read to find out!


I really enjoyed that the book allowed for you to think of people to be possible suspects but they weren't like obviously oooh think this guy is the bad guy type stuff. It made you think and the killer did NOT come out of left field either, which is another positive in my book! I will be devouring this series as soon as the books get checked back in at the library!


Other books in this series include:

The Apprentice

The Sinner

Body Double

Vanish

The Mephisto Club

The Keepsake

Ice Cold


What is a series that you have recently started and liked?


Besides this one, I think we all know I have enjoyed The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo Series!!

3 comments:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

You know what, this post makes me think that my library kind of sucks. Even when a book IS available, I still have to wait a week for it to get me. Other books that I have wanted I have waited as long as 2-3 months, or even longer! So annoying!

Alright, done ranting. I shouldn't complain since the library is a free service...

The only series I have read lately is the Stieg Larssen series. I have read books 1 & 2, and plan on borrowing book 3 from a friend this fall.

Luanne said...

I like this series too! But we don`t have cable, so I haven`t seen the tv show yet. I almost don`t know if I want to - sometimes the mental image of a character is miles away from what they end up with.

Amber said...

My mom LOVES the Tess Gerritsen books. I'm pretty sure I have read the Surgeon a long time ago, the description sounded familiar. I really enjoy cop/crime books like that, too.