Tuesday, May 11, 2010

True Colors by Kristin Hannah

Goodreads.com Description: The Grey sisters had only each other when their mother died years ago. Their father provided for them physically on Water's Edge, the ranch that had been in their family for three generations, each of them however, longed for their father's love.

Winona, the oldest, knew early on that she could never get it. An overweight dreamer and reader, she didn't exhibit the kinds of talents and strengths her father valued.

Vivi Anne, the youngest, had those things. And it was Vivi Anne who only ever saw a glimmer of their father's approval.

When Vivi Anne makes a fateful decision to follow her heart, rather than take the route of a dutiful daughter, events are set in motion that will test the love and loyalties of the Grey sisters.

With breathtaking pace and penetrating insight, Kristin Hannah's True Colors is a novel about sisters, vengeance, rivalry, betrayal-and ultimately, what it truly means to be a family.


A co-worker let me borrow this book over the weekend and I read it quickly because I wanted to get it back to her before school break. I was not really impressed. The writing seemed sub-par and some of the storyline unbelievable. Let's just say if Henry Grey was my father, we wouldn't be speaking anymore and I sure as heck wouldn't be living in the same town as him!!

There is a LOT of family drama in this one and a lot of it could be stopped with some honesty and some getting over yourself and not letting sibling rivalry get waaaay out of control.

It was a very quick read and perfect for a rainy day but coming right after Firefly Lane, this just did not seem as good.

Anyone else read it? Have you ever been disappointed when you read an author's other work after liking what you've already read by them? I hope that made sense!! ;)

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Aw...I'm bummed just reading this review haha, I wanted to read this but I'm not sure if I'm up for a family drama. Loved Firefly Lane though :)

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I really like this author Richard Paul Evans & have loved all of his books. Then I read one called "Grace" last month & it sort of fell flat for me...

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

I adored Firefly Lane and picked this up a few months ago and... couldn't even finish it. I kept waiting for it to get better and it just didn't. The main characters got on my nerves so much, all I felt during the book was irritation. So disappointing after Firefly Lane!