Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Thirteen Reasons Why

Description: Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker--his classmate and crush--who committed suicide two weeks earlier.
On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.

Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers.

Wow. I read this book in one sitting, mainly because it was so suspenseful that I couldn't put it down without wondering what happened next. I really have to say that I think it is a book that EVERY teenager needs to read before high school. Suicide is such a taboo topic and Asher brings it front and center.

Everyone likes to say they didn't see the signs, but there are always signs.

What I really could relate to in this book is the bad things that would happen to Hannah. They are things that EVERY teenager deals with at some point in their high school career. Yet, some people react differently. The book really pushes the point of, every action has a reaction. Hannah didn't kill herself because of one person 'being mean to her.' Hannah killed herself because EVERY safe place she had slowly was lost to her that began as ONE stupid rumor. The snowball effect that she keeps referring to throughout the novel.

The entire book, consists of Clay walking around town listening to the tapes that Hannah left. Following her path, remembering, commenting on the things that happened and listening to her give the 13 reasons why she killed herself. It really makes you sick and want to throttle the people at her high school.

While, Hannah killing herself was her choice, and one she admits, all of the people mentioned that received her tapes also had a role in Hannah losing herself and control. It is SO heartbreaking, especially for me to think on past high school experiences of people treating others the way her classmates treated her and wondering how they felt. Towards the end of the book, Hannah really loses her sanity, and that is where I started to want to shake her and let her see how much she WAS cared for, but she had hit the point of no return and really was looking for any reason to do it. And plus, when someone is THAT anguished there does reach a point when there is no turning back in there thinking, and that is when people need to be noticing these changes.

I really don't want to say anything more about the plot. But I recommend this book TO EVERYONE. Please read it. Please pass it on. Don't let any other person hurting, end their life needlessly.

Teen Suicide

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

Are you in crisis? Please call 1-800-273-TALK

5 comments:

Amber said...

The way you described this book really reminds me of 19 minutes by Jodi Picoult. It really flipped the perspective that most people have of high school shootings!

This book looks good, I'll have to read it!

Tameka said...

I want to read this book SO much. Don't know why it's taken me so long!

Leigh Hutchens Burch said...

This book looks amazing. Suicide and survivor guilt are important topics in the novel I'm writing, so I can't wait to get my hands on this one for inspiration.

Thanks for blogging about it! This is going on my TBR list pronto.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Great review. This book has been on my TBR list for quite awhile - I was intrigued after reading the synopsis. Suicide is such a taboo subject. So sad. One of my cousin's committed suicide when he was about 23 and our family has never really been the same.

Anonymous said...

Great review! I have this on my wish list with a notation that the audio is also very good.