Monday, March 8, 2010

Morning Neurosis - Juliette Miranda

"It sucks, because we could have been so great, but I need to keep reminding
myself that this is his stupid decision that I did nothing wrong. he's
looking for something that he will never find, and he certainly isn't ever going
to find another girl like me. Maybe he'll realize that one day, and maybe
he won't but I can't hang onto the hope that he will." - pg. 132



Morning Neurosis is the rawest most real thing I have read in awhile. This biography/autobiography/memoir that is lightly fictionalized honestly sums up the inner workings of most 20-something women at some point in their life. Juliette Miranda’s first book had me nodding and agreeing so much with her thoughts, and we are in no other way alike besides the sharing of our female parts.

The book begins with Miranda having to make the tough decision to give up her LA fantasy life and move back home to Chicago for a paycheck. She has to take a job she despises, but with the economy, she lacks better options.

Miranda has a sea of former musicians for lovers and friends who are always popping back up in her life. The book describes them and she has attributed nicknames to each of them. She is a self-described rock slut and has many tales to back up her claims. The book jumps around a lot and I think that keeps it interesting. Much like this review. Ha ha.

Soon after returning to Chicago, Miranda meets Jon, another musician who really isn’t like the other musicians she tells him because he has a “real job” too. By the end of the book though, I would like to say that I think Jon was just like the other musicians with just as much baggage. Just better packaging skills.

The majority of the book follows the dysfunctional relationship Miranda forges with Jon and the many neuroses that come with being in a relationship and being female. I think women are forever questioning themselves and ever so passive aggressive in new relationships because we don’t want to screw them up and we don’t want to be tooo out there and we don’t want to be shot down. I know, I cannot be the only one to relate to the constant worrying that Miranda describes.

"No girl ever really does what she should, I suspect, we see to many
options for ourselves." .... "This is the problem with remaining in contact with
an exboyfriend: you can never fully decide if you want him back in your life, or
if you really just want to back over him with your car." - pg. 152


She does have a VERY smart friend named Dan who always talks sense and tells her the truth and great advice, even if she doesn’t always listen or follow through. I think we all have a friend like that, even when we hate them for being correct.

I would have to say that I liked this book way more than I ever intended on liking it, because originally I thought I wouldn’t relate and it would just be a quick fun read. Quick it was, but wow, very insightful. Miranda is hilarious, real , and hooks you in. Can’t wait to read what she writes next.




FTC Disclosure: I received this book through a giveaway on goodreads.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love discovering debut authors. Glad this one is good.